Paper Competition First Place Winner
Policy Position Paper: Ensuring the Inclusion of People with Disabilities in STEM Education and Careers
Wisberty J. Gordián-Vélez
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Bioengineering, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Philadelphia, PA
Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: people with disabilities; education; STEM; workforce; diversity and inclusion; HR4521; S1260
Achieving full inclusion for people with disabilities in STEM is a matter of national security, economic prosperity, and equity. People with disabilities in STEM are underrepresented in postsecondary degrees and employment and they have higher unemployment rates and earn less. Inaction at the federal level has contributed to perpetuating these disparities. The federal government, especially through a signed law, could provide the funding and mandate to establish the institutional support, resources, and incentives needed so people with disabilities have equitable access to STEM and they can contribute to the scientific and technological innovation the U.S. needs to confront its great challenges. Congress has lately been working to bolster the country’s scientific and technological enterprise and to increase the diversity of our STEM workforce, through HR4521, the America COMPETES Act, and S1260, the U.S. Innovation and Competition Act. Some of these proposals are promising but fail to include provisions specific to people with disabilities. As Congress considers a HR4521/S1260 compromise bill, it has the opportunity to include programs that ensure the inclusion and promote the success of people with disabilities in STEM.
-Read the full article through download.-
Background header image courtesy of CC BY-SA 4.0
Wisberty J. Gordián-Vélez is a person with a speech disability and a Ph.D. candidate in the Bioengineering Graduate Group at the University of Pennsylvania investigating a regenerative medicine and tissue engineering-based treatment for Parkinson’s disease. He holds a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus.
- Andrews, E.E., K.B. Ayers, K.S. Brown, D.S. Dunn, and C.R. Pilarski. 2021. "Nobody is expendable: Medical rationing and disability justice during the COVID-19 pandemic." Am. Psychol. 76: 451-461. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1037/amp0000709.
- Bernard, Marie A. 2021. "Advancing Disability Inclusion in the Scientific Workforce." National Institutes of Health. https://diversity.nih.gov/blog/2021-07-21-advancing-disability-inclusion-scientific-workforce.
- Bolton, Alexander. 2022. "Manchin proposes dramatically scaled down version of Build Back Better." The Hill, 2022. https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/596580-manchin-proposes-dramatically-scaled-down-version-of-build-back-better.
- Casey, Caroline. 2020. "Do Your D&I Efforts Include People with Disabilities?". Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2020/03/do-your-di-efforts-include-people-with-disabilities.
- CDC. 2020. "Disability and Health Overview." https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/disabilityandhealth/disability.html.
- Charette, Robert N. 2012. "STEM Education Funding in the U.S. - Is More or Less Needed? The answer is surprisingly elusive." https://spectrum.ieee.org/stem-education-in-the-us-is-more-or-less-needed.
- Clark, Quintana M., and Levon T. Esters. 2018. "Federally Funded Programs Are Not Enough to Diversify the STEM Workforce." https://www.diverseeducation.com/students/article/15102890/federally-funded-programs-are-not-enough-to-diversify-the-stem-workforce.
- Collaborators, GBD 2019 Diseases and Injuries. 2020. "Global burden of 369 diseases and injuries in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019." Lancet 396: 1204-1222. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30925-9.
- Davenport, C., and L. Friedman. 2022. "Build Back Better Hit a Wall, but Climate Action Could Move Forward." The New York Times, 2022. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/climate/build-back-better-climate-change.html.
- DeChiaro, Dean. 2021. "House, Senate will go to conference on R&D proposals." Roll Call, 2021. https://rollcall.com/2021/11/18/house-senate-will-go-to-conference-on-rd-proposals/.
- Dixon-Fyle, Sundiatu, Kevin Dolan, Vivian Hunt, and Sara Prin. 2020. "Diversity wins: How inclusion matters." https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/diversity-and-inclusion/diversity-wins-how-inclusion-matters.
- Dunn, C., D. Shannon, B. McCullough, O. Jenda, and M. Qazi. 2018. "An Innovative Postsecondary Education Program for Students with Disabilities in STEM (Practice Brief)." J. Postsecondary Education and Disability 31: 91-101. https://par.nsf.gov/servlets/purl/10114533.
- Faragher, Jo. 2020. "A Fifth of Disabled Workers Had Work from Home Requests Turned down during Pandemic." DVV Media International. https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/a-fifth-of-disabled-workers-had-covid-work-from-home-requests-turned-down/.
- Feldgoise, Jacob, and Matt Sheehan. 2022. "Two New Tech Bills Could Transform U.S. Innovation—if Congress Acts." https://carnegieendowment.org/2022/02/10/two-new-tech-bills-could-transform-u.s.-innovation-if-congress-acts-pub-86416.
- Gin, L.E., F.A. Guerrero, S.E. Brownell, and K.M. Cooper. 2021. "COVID-19 and Undergraduates with Disabilities: Challenges Resulting from the Rapid Transition to Online Course Delivery for Students with Disabilities in Undergraduate STEM at Large-Enrollment Institutions." CBE Life Sci Educ 20: ar36. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.21-02-0028.
- Goering, S. 2015. "Rethinking disability: the social model of disability and chronic disease." Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med 8: 134-138. https://doi.org/https://dx.doi.org/10.1007%2Fs12178-015-9273-z.
- Gormley, Maureen E. 2015. "Workplace stigma toward employees with intellectual disability: A descriptive study." J. Vocat. Rehabil. 43 (3): 249-258. https://doi.org/10.3233/JVR-150773.
- Greenfield, Rebecca. 2021. "Work from Home Has the Power to Advance Equality or Set It Back." Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Izzo, M., A. Murray, S. Priest, and B. McArrell. 2011. "Using Student Learning Communities to Recruit STEM Students with Disabilities." J. Postsecondary Education and Disability 24: 301-316. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ966131.pdf.
- Jashinsky, T.L., C.L. King, N.M. Kwiat, B.L. Henry, and A. Lockett‐Glover. 2021. "Disability and COVID‐19: Impact on workers, intersectionality With race, and inclusion strategies." The Career Development Quarterly: 313-325. https://doi.org/doi:10.1002/cdq.12276.
- Lund, E.M., A.J. Forber-Pratt, C. Wilson, and L.R. Mona. 2020. "The COVID-19 pandemic, stress, and trauma in the disability community: A call to action." Rehabilitation Psychology: 312-322. https://doi.org/doi:10.1037/rep0000368.
- Luterman, Sara. 2020. "Why businesses can still get away with paying pennies to employees with disabilities." Vox, 2020. https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/3/16/21178197/people-with-disabilities-minimum-wage.
- McMaughan, Darcy Jones, Kelley E. Rhoads, Crys Davis, Xuewei Chen, Ho Han, Richard A. Jones, Carlos C. Mahaffey, and Bridget M. Miller. 2021. "COVID-19 related experiences among college students with and without disabilities: Psychosocial impacts, supports, and virtual learning environments." 9: 782793. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2021.782793.
- National Science Foundation. 2006. "Program Solicitation 12-542: Research in Disabilities Education." https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2012/nsf12542/nsf12542.pdf.
- National Science Foundation. 2009. "NSF Award Search: Award # 0833567 - RDE-RAD: EAST Alliance for Students with Disabilities in STEM- Phase 2." https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=0833567.
- National Science Foundation. 2013. "Program Solicitation 13-604: Research on Education and Learning (REAL)." https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2013/nsf13604/nsf13604.pdf.
- National Science Foundation. 2014. "EHR Core Research (ECR) Fundamental Research in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education." https://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_summ.jsp?ods_key=nsf15509&org=NSF.
- National Science Foundation. 2016. "Award # 1649344 - Collaborative Research: NSF INCLUDES: South East Alliance for Persons with Disabilities in STEM (SEAPD-STEM)." https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1649344&HistoricalAwards=false.
- National Science Foundation. 2019. "Award # 1940655 - Workshop: Broadening participation of persons with disabilities in STEM, October 14-16 2019, National Federation for the Blind, Baltimore, MD." https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1940655&HistoricalAwards=false.
- National Science Foundation. 2020a. "Award # 1127955 - Deaf STEM Community Alliance: Supporting Postsecondary Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Students in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics." https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1127955.
- National Science Foundation. 2020b. "Award # 2012998 - NSF INCLUDES Planning Grant: Developing a Shared Vision for Engaging Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering." https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2012998&HistoricalAwards=false.
- National Science Foundation. 2020c. "Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science." https://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=505289.
- National Science Foundation. 2021a. "Award # 2119902 - NSF INCLUDES Alliance: The Alliance of Students with Disabilities for Inclusion, Networking, and Transition Opportunities in STEM (TAPDINTO-STEM)." https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2119902&HistoricalAwards=false.
- National Science Foundation. 2021b. "Program Solicitation 21-588: EHR Core Research (ECR:Core)." https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2021/nsf21588/nsf21588.pdf.
- NCES, National Center for Education Statistics. 2021a. "Digest of Education Statistics, 2019 - Postsecondary education." https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d19/ch_3.asp
- NCES. 2021b. "Students with disabilities." http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator/cgg.
- NCSES, National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics. 2019. "Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities in science and engineering: 2019." https://ncses.nsf.gov/pubs/nsf19304/data.
- NCSES. 2021. "Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities in science and engineering: 2021." https://ncses.nsf.gov/pubs/nsf21321/report/employment.
- Oliver, M. 1995. Understanding disability: From theory to practice. Macmillan International Higher Education.
- Orr, Ashley E., and Tamara Savage. 2021. "Expanding Access to and Ensuring Equity in the Benefits of Remote Work Following the COVID-19 Pandemic." J. Sci. Policy Gov. 18 (4). https://doi.org/10.38126/JSPG180413.
- Sarju, J.P. 2021. "Nothing About Us Without Us – Towards Genuine Inclusion of Disabled Scientists and Science Students Post Pandemic." Chem. Eur. J.: 10489-10494. https://doi.org/doi:10.1002/chem.202100268.
- Smith, Allen. 2021a. "Senate Blocks Paycheck Fairness Act." https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/pages/senate-blocks-paycheck-fairness-act.aspx.
- Smith, Paige. 2021b. "‘Subminimum’ Pay for Disabled Workers Moves Closer to Extinction." Bloomberg Law, 2021b. https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/subminimum-pay-for-disabled-workers-moves-closer-to-extinction.
- Soria, K.M., B. Horgos, I. Chirikov, and D. Jones-White. 2020. "The Experiences of Undergraduate Students with Physical, Learning, Neurodevelopmental, and Cognitive Disabilities During the Pandemic." http://hdl.handle.net/11299/216715.
- Swenor, B. K., B. Munoz, and L. M. Meeks. 2020. "A decade of decline: Grant funding for researchers with disabilities 2008 to 2018." PLoS One 15 (3): e0228686. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0228686. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32126090.
- The White House. 2021a. "FACT SHEET: Biden-Harris Administration Efforts to Support Full Participation and Equality for People with Disabilities." https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/White-House-Disability-Policy-Fact-Sheet.pdf.
- The White House. 2021b. "FACT SHEET: Biden-Harris Administration Marks Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act and Announces Resources to Support Individuals with Long COVID." https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/07/26/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-marks-anniversary-of-americans-with-disabilities-act-and-announces-resources-to-support-individuals-with-long-covid/.
- The White House. 2021c. "FACT SHEET: The American Families Plan." https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/04/28/fact-sheet-the-american-families-plan/.
- The White House. 2021d. "FACT SHEET: The American Jobs Plan." https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/03/31/fact-sheet-the-american-jobs-plan/.
- Turner, Lauren, and Maya Fischhoff. 2021. "How Diversity Increases Productivity." https://www.nbs.net/articles/how-diversity-increases-productivity.
- U.S. Congress. 2021a. "Summary - S.1260 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): United States Innovation and Competition Act of 2021." https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/1260.
- U.S. Congress. 2021b. "Text - H.R.204 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): STEM Opportunities Act." https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/204/text.
- U.S. Congress. 2021c. "Text - H.R.2225 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): National Science Foundation for the Future Act." https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/2225/text.
- U.S. Congress. 2021d. "Text - H.R.5376 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Build Back Better Act." https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376.
- U.S. Congress. 2021e. "Text - S.630 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Disability Employment Incentive Act."
- U.S. Congress. 2022. "H.R.4521 - America COMPETES Act of 2022." https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/4521/text.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division. "Introduction to the Americans with Disabilities Act." https://beta.ada.gov/topics/intro-to-ada/.
- U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Disability Employment Policy. 2021. "Recent Funding Opportunities to Expand Access to Competitive Integrated Employment (CIE) for Individuals with Disabilities." https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ODEP/pdf/508_odep_cie_07152021.pdf?utm_source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ODEP_Newsletter_7-16-21.
- U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Science, Space, and Technology. 2019. "Achieving the promise of a diverse STEM workforce." https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-116hhrg36256/pdf/CHRG-116hhrg36256.pdf.
- University of Washington, Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology (DO-IT) Center. 2011. "Progress of AccessSTEM - Phase II." https://www.washington.edu/doit/progress-accessstem-phase-ii.
- Weir, Sara Hart, and Nicholas Wyman. 2021. "Op-Ed: Employers’ diversity and equity efforts often overlook people with disabilities." https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/op-ed-diversity-equity-efforts-often-overlook-those-with-disabilities-.html.
- World Health Organization. 2021. "Disability and health." https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/disability-and-health.
DISCLAIMER: The findings and conclusions published herein are solely attributed to the author and not necessarily endorsed or adopted by the Journal of Science Policy and Governance. Articles are distributed in compliance with copyright and trademark agreements.